When building your new home or any other structure like a shed, you will need to have a roof. This is where you will need roof trusses. Roof trusses need to be strong since you do not want them buckling under the weight of your roof. In addition to holding up your roof, roof trusses are designed to fit the style your house is being built. The design of a roof is a great contributor to the beauty of a house. The roof trusses are the skeletons that hold up your roof as well as ceiling.
When building a house, your choice of roof trusses is reliant on what you want to achieve with your roof. The trusses can be fashioned to facilitate an attic or room in the roof for occupation.
Roof trusses are usually fashioned from either metal or timber. The most common metal is steel. Steel trusses are more popular for huge structures while timber trusses are favored for most residential houses. When choosing your roof trusses there are some things to keep in mind, these include:
- In a very rainy place or a place susceptible snow a flat rooftop is not advisable, a rooftop with a steeper incline is recommended.
- For places susceptible to strong winds and storms, there are regulations on minimum specifications for roofing.
- The design will also be made with consideration of what weight and items the roof will hold for example solar panels and water tanks.
- A bungalow looks better with certain types of roof designs while a mansion may look better on a different design.
- Trusses can be classified into two main categories.
- Flat trusses which can have different levels of slope.
- Pitched trusses which are steeper.
When you place an order for roof trusses you will need to liaise with the builders to ensure that they send all the required specifications clearly stated to your suppliers. These include:
- Span, which is the distance between the outer wall plates.
- Height, which is the distance between the ceiling tie and the peak formed by the two rafters.
- The function of the roof.
- The spacing between the roof trusses.
- The overhang, that is the distance the truss covers after the outer wall plate, this can create a shade over a balcony or porch.
- The design and provision of entry into the roof.
Getting the right roof over your house not only provides a sense of security, it also enhancers the aesthetics of the house. Talk to a contractor like Prefab Technology Pty Ltd for more information.